ST. ANDREWS BIOLOGICAL STATION
Dedicated to aquatic sciences since 1908
Founded in 1908, the St. Andrews Biological Station is Atlantic Canada’s oldest permanent marine research facility. Station scientists conduct ecosystem science in support of the Fisheries and Oceans Canada departmental mandate to manage, regulate and support human activities in Canadian waters.
Located on the shores of Passamaquoddy Bay in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, scientific study is focused on the Bay of Fundy and Gulf of Maine as well as the coastal ecosystems and traditional fisheries of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. A large portion of our work is done in collaboration with universities, environmental groups, aquaculture and fishing industries.
Scientific research is conducted on a number of themes including: Aquaculture, Biodiversity, Climate Change, Coastal Oceanography, Fisheries and Species at Risk.
In 2012, the Biological Station completed a major renovation and opened two new state-of-the-art facilities - the 4500 square metre science building and a 2900 square metre wet laboratory that includes holding tanks, laboratories and a biocontainment facility for research on live aquatic animals.
Other campus features include an additional holding facility that houses adult fish species (broodstock) for providing live species for research purposes and the CCGS Viola M. Davidson an 18.5 metre specialty research vessel commissioned in 2010 as well as smaller vessels, a wharf and a conference centre. The Station also collaborates with the Huntsman Marine Science Centre to operate the Atlantic Reference Centre, a research museum housing over 8000 marine species from Atlantic Canada.
There are approximately 80 full-time employees at the Biological Station. Post-doctoral fellows, visiting scientists and students are also welcomed.
125 Marine Science Drive,
St. Andrews, New Brunswick
Telephone: (506) 529-8854
Fax: (506) 529-5862
- Date modified: