IMPLEMENTATION OF A LICENCE AND TAGS REGIME FOR THE RECREATIONAL GROUNDFISH FISHERY
From Fisheries and Oceans
On May 20, 2016 the Department announced its intention to implement a licence and tags management regime for the recreational groundfish fishery, commencing with the 2017 season. The Department is now commencing the public consultations process to seek views on both the proposed regulatory changes and proposed the management measures for this fishery.
The proposed implementation of a licence and tags regime will require an amendment to the Atlantic Fisheries Regulations. Additionally, the User Fee Act requires that public consultations be conducted when a new fee is being proposed. A licence fee and tags fees will be introduced under this new management regime.
These consultations will be of interest to members of the general public in Newfoundland and Labrador who participate in the recreational groundfish fishery; recreational fishing organizations; community groups; environmental organizations; the provincial government; other federal government departments; Aboriginal organizations, tour boat operators; the tourism sector, and participants in the commercial fishing industry. [What] Public meetings will be held in various locations in Newfoundland and Labrador in the coming weeks. As well, an online consultation process will be available for feedback and comments to be submitted via email. Details on how to participate on the consultation process are outlined below.
When and Where
|Thursday, November 03, 2016||NL||St. John’s||Capital Hotel from 7 to 9 pm|
|Monday, November 07, 2016||NL||Clarenville||Clarenville Inn from 7 to 9pm|
|Tuesday, November 08, 2016||NL||Gander||Albatross Hotel from 7 to 9pm|
|Wednesday, November 09, 2016||NL||Corner Brook||Civic Centre from 7 to 9 pm|
|Monday, November 14, 2016||NL||Mary’s Harbour, Labrador||Riverview Lodge from 7 to 9pm|
|Tuesday, November 15, 2016||NL||Plum Point||Hôtel Plum Point from 7 to 9 pm|
|Thursday, November 17||NL||Carbonear||Fong’s Motel from 7 to 9 pm|
|Monday, November 21||NL||Marystown||Marystown Hotel from 7 to 9 pm|
How to participate
The Public will have a variety of methods via which they can provide comments to DFO:
- Information on the proposed regulatory changes to provide for a recreational groundfish licence,, and the associated management measures, including tag is available online on the Newfoundland and Labrador regional departmental website at: http://www.inter.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/NL/CC/Recreational-Groundfish-Consultations-2016 The website provides an option via which to submit written comments.
- Comments , written submissions, or any related questions can also be submitted directly to the following DFO regional email address: NL.Rec.Groundfish-Peche.recr.du.poisson.de.fond.TNL@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
- Optionally, any written feedback can be submitted to by mail to: Recreational Groundfish Public Consultations, Resource Management and Aboriginal Fisheries, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, P.O. Box 5667, St. John’s, NL, A1C 5X1.
- All written comments and formal submissions should be provided to the Department by Wednesday November 30, 2016
- Atlantic Fishery Regulations
- User Fee Act
- 2016 Recreational Groundfish Fishery management decision
Senior Resource Manager
Resource Management and Aboriginal Fisheries
Fisheries Management Fisheries and Oceans Canada
North West Atlantic Fisheries Centre
80 East White Hills Road
St. John’s, NL
Phone (709) 772 6151
Fax (709) 772 -3628
- Date modified: