FISHERIES AND OCEANS CANADA
NOTICE TO FISH HARVESTERS
July 9, 2021
DEADLINE TO SELECT THE 2021 2J3KL COD 3KL FALL-ONLY & 2J PERIOD 2 FISHERY OPTION
Harvesters are reminded that to promote the distribution of catch throughout the season in 2021, harvesters will have options for fishing as identified below.
Any harvester who does not select a fishing period option by the deadline will receive conditions authorizing them to fish based on their homeport and as follows:
Homeport NAFO Division 2J:
- Period 1 (8 weeks) August 1 – September 25, 2021: 25,000lbs
- Homeport NAFO Division 3KL (& 4R overlap):
- July 25 – September 11: 3,200lbs base weekly limit
- September 12 – October 30: 4,000 lbs base weekly limit
- Harvesters may select options outside of their homeport, but must contact the Department to request licence conditions for the NAFO area they select.
- In NAFO division 2J, harvesters have the option of selecting one of the following base bi-weekly authorized catch limits:
- Period 1 (8 weeks) : August 1 – September 25, 2021: 25,000lbs
- Period 2 (8 weeks) : September 5 – October 30, 2021 : 25,000lbs
- Harvesters that choose the 2J Period 2 fishery option will not be able to fish prior to September 5 and will be authorized to fish only from September 5 to October 30 with a bi-weekly limit of 25,000 lbs.
- In NAFO divisions 3KL, harvesters have the option of selecting the regular fishing season or the Fall Fishery Option as outlined below:
- Regular Season: July 25 – September 11: 3,200lbs base weekly limit and September 12 – October 30: 4,000 lbs base weekly limit
Fall Option (choose fall option 1 or 2) :
- Option 1: Fish only during the fall from September 12 to October 30, 2021 with a base weekly limit of 8,000 lbs/week.
- Option 2: Fish only during the Fall from September 12 to October 30, 2021 with a base bi-weekly limit of 16,000 lbs/bi-weekly which must be harvested outside Canada's Territorial Sea (the 12 mile limit) as per Section 4(a) of the Oceans Act. For harvesters selecting option 2, a DFO approved Vessel Monitoring System (VMS) is required and must be operational at all times.
Harvesters that choose the 3KL Fall-only fishery option will not be able to fish prior to September 12 and will be authorized to fish only during the fall from September 12 to October 30 at catch limit identified above.
Any harvester who does not select the 3KL Fall-only fishery option by the deadline will receive conditions authorizing them to fish the regular season (July 25 – Sept 11) at the catch limit identified above.
Fish harvesters that want to avail of any of these options MUST indicate their intention in writing via e-mail to Julia.Sparkes@dfo-mpo.gc.ca no later than July 16, 2021.
Harvesters must provide their FULL NAME, FIN, HOMEPORT and their requested option.
The Conservation Harvesting Plan will be available online in the coming days at: https://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fisheries-peches/decisions/fm-2021-gp/index-atl-eng.html#cod
Tel. (709) 772-5020
- Date modified: