FISHERIES AND OCEANS CANADA
June 28, 2021
2021 Newfoundland and Labrador Recreational Groundfish Fishery
DFO advises that the 2021 Recreational Groundfish fishery will open for a total of 39 days, for the following season dates:
- Saturday, July 03, 2021 to Monday, July 05, 2021
- Saturday, July 10, 2021 to Monday, July 12, 2021
- Saturday, July 17, 2021 to Monday, July 19, 2021
- Saturday, July 24, 2021 to Monday, July 26, 2021
- Saturday, July 31, 2021 to Monday, August 02, 2021
- Saturday, August 07, 2021 to Monday, August 09, 2021
- Saturday, August 14, 2021 to Monday, August 16, 2021
- Saturday, August 21, 2021 to Monday, August 23, 2021
- Saturday, August 28, 2021 to Monday, August 30, 2021
- Saturday, September 04, 2021 to Monday, September 6, 2021
- Saturday, September 25, 2021 to Sunday, October 03, 2021
- Recreational fishers are limited to five groundfish per day (including cod).
Management Measures and Regulations:
- The recreational fishery is open to both residents and non-residents.
- The maximum boat limit when three or more people are fishing is 15 groundfish.
- Retention of Atlantic halibut, Spotted and Northern wolffish, and any species of shark is prohibited. Sculpins and cunners may be released. All other groundfish caught must be retained and are part of the daily bag limit of 5 groundfish.
- High-grading of groundfish is not permitted and no fish are permitted to be wasted.
- All fish caught must be retained in a readily identifiable state. Fish may be bled, gutted, and split while at sea, but further processing such as, skinning, cutting into sections, packing or otherwise at sea is not permitted, as such further processing practices make determinations of species, number and size of the fish problematic.
- Only angling gear and handlines with a maximum of three hooks are permitted. Handlines include artificial lures, baited hooks and feathered hooks. Artificial lures with treble hooks weighing less than five ounces or 142 grams are acceptable. Traditional jiggers are not permitted unless they are modified and have only one single hook.
For safety reasons, fishing is only permitted from one hour before sunrise until one hour after sunset.
The public is reminded to follow safe boating practices and be aware of local weather and sea conditions before leaving port.
The Regional Director General, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Newfoundland and Labrador Region gives notice that Variation Orders 2021-004 and 2021-005 have been revoked and Variation Orders 2021-106 and 2021-107 come into effect on June 29, 2021.
For information, contact:
Regional FAM Officer
Tel. (709) 772-5020
- Date modified: